There has been a settlement at or near Tallow at least since the thirteenth century, although it is thought that there may have been an earlier, pre-Norman settlement near the site of the present town. The medieval town was destroyed by fire in the late sixteenth century, and was rebuilt by Sir Richard Boyle, Earl of Cork, in the early seventeenth century as an English plantation. Read More
Built c. 1840, Chapel Street.
Opposite the Church of the Immaculate Conception the boy’s National School building was built in the nineteenth century. Now in use as a dwelling it still has many of its original features such as the boundary wall, railing and gates and recessed arched plasterwork around the windows.
Built c. 1700, Youghal Road.
Built in c . 1700 and retained as an army barracks until after the Napoleonic wars, the Bride Valley Stores were converted by the Hanna family into a corn and flour mill. They were given their current name by the Kelleher family in the twentieth century.
Built in 1826. Chapel Street.
Description taken from www.buildingsofireland.ie
Detached six-bay double-height Catholic church, built 1826, on a cruciform plan comprising four-bay double-height nave with single-bay double-height chamfered bays leading to single-bay double-height transepts to east and to west, single-bay double-height bowed apse to north having single-bay double-height flanking bays on triangular plans, and single-bay single-storey sacristy to north.
Built c 1460, Lisfinny.
Lisfinny Castle, steeped in history, was one of five fifteenth century tower houses built by the Earls of Desmond. It is situated on the hill to the north of Tallow with a view of Tallow and the surrounding area.
Built 1830, Youghal Road.
Taken from www.buildingsofireland.ie
Know locally as the Almshouses, the cottages are of particular significance having been sponsored by John Boyce of Tallow, as accommodation for 'aged couples'. Terraced three-bay single-storey almshouses, dated 1830, retaining original windows.
Built 1910, Convent Street.
The Carnegie Library is one of a group of five in County Waterford and one of over 2,500 worldwide, donated by Scottish philanthropist and business man Andrew Carnegie at the turn of the twentieth century.
Built c. 1870, Barrack Street
Previously called the Devonshire Arms, Clancy’s Guesthouse was originally a Bianconi coach stop, this stone faced building is an end-of-Terrace five-bay three-storey hotel. The frontage would have originally been rendered and still retains the rendered quoins and rendered courses to each floor.
Built c. 1775, Mill Road.
Photo and Description taken from www.buildingsofireland.ie
Detached four-bay double-height single-cell Board of First Fruits Church of Ireland church, c.1775, with single-bay single-storey lean-to vestry to south-east, and single-bay three-stage entrance tower to west on a square plan. Subsequently in commercial use. Now disused.